The Simple Fragrance Guide – Part 1
Even if you love buying perfume, picking out a new fragrance is not an easy task. To pick up the right perfume for you, you should have an understanding of the different types of perfumes, the different notes and the different categories of perfumes. With this basic knowledge, you will be able to choose the right fragrance for you. This blog is a refresher guide on the above subjects.
Fragrances are classified based upon the concentration of perfume and also dictates how long the fragrance will last of the skin
- Perfume: Fragrance with highest concentration, i.e. 20-50% of aromatic compounds Lasts for about 8-10 hrs.
- Eau de Parfum: 10-30% of aromatic compounds. Lasts for 6-8 hrs.
- Eau de Toilette: 5 – 20% aromatic compounds. Lasts for 4 – 6 hrs.
- Eau de Cologne: 2-5% aromatic compounds. Lasts for 2-3 hrs.
The prices of the fragrance depends on the concentration of perfume. The higher the concentration, the higher the price.
Fragrances are also further classified into :
- Feminine (Femme)
- Masculine (Homme)
They can be identified depending on the categories described below. It has also been noticed that some strong women love to wear masculine fragrances as a part of their personality.
All fragrances have three types of notes: – Top, Middle & Base Notes
- Top Note: Is what you smell when you initially spray the fragrance; they won’t last very long (how long depends on the strength of the perfume).
- Middle note: Comes next and also have a relatively short lifespan.
- Base note: Linger the longest, but won’t become evident on your skin until later.
Never judge a perfume immediately on the first spray. It has to settle down on your body before you make the final decision to purchase.
There are different categories of fragrances depending upon the ingredients used in them. They are broadly classified into the following categories:
- Citrus: A clean, tangy, aroma of citrus fruits. They are normally light and energizing and well suited for someone who does not want a strong scent. Common notes found in Citrus fragrances are lemon, mandarin,
- Floral: Fresh cut fragrance of flowers, soft and very feminine. They are normally youthful and girly and best suited on females. Common floral notes are jasmine, rose, gardenia and iris.
- Oriental: More powerful than the first two. They are normally warm, heavy and spicy and best suited as night time fragrances. Common notes are vanilla, amber, cloves and musk.
- Woody: Some woody scents to smell more unisex or masculine and are best suited for women who are sensual, free-spirited and nurturing. Common notes found in woody scents are sandalwood, patchouli, cedarwood and amber.
In my next blog, I will write about the use of perfume, how to choose, apply and store it and how to find the right scent for you.
Feedback is encouraged.
Written & Published by Hema Aushat
For Let’s Talk Beauty